Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a person or vessel that gathers sponges
- a person who cleans, etc. with a sponge
- Informal a person who, though able to work, depends on others for food, money, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that gathers sponges.
- Informal A person who sponges on others; a parasite.