- The definition of a splurge is a showy display or an extravagant purchase.
An example of a splurge is the purchase of a brand new luxury vehicle.
- Splurge is defined as to spend money extravagantly, or to show off.
An example of splurge is to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vacation.
- Informal any very showy or self-indulgent display or effort
- Informal a spell of extravagant spending
Origin of splurgeechoic blend of splash and amp; surge
- Informal to make a showy display or effort
- Informal to spend money extravagantly
verbsplurged splurged, splurg·ing, splurg·es
- An expensive indulgence; a spree: a splurge in a fine restaurant.
- An extravagant display or large amount: a splurge of flowers.
Origin of splurgePerhaps blend of splash and surge.
(third-person singular simple present splurges, present participle splurging, simple past and past participle splurged)