- The definition of a splurge is a showy display or an extravagant purchase.
An example of a splurge is the purchase of a brand new luxury vehicle.
- Splurge is defined as to spend money extravagantly, or to show off.
An example of splurge is to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vacation.
- any very showy display or effort
- a spell of extravagant spending
Origin: echoic blend of spl(ash) plush (s)urge
- splurger noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb splurged splurged, splurg·ing, splurg·es verb, intransitive
- To indulge in an extravagant expense or luxury.
- To be showy or ostentatious.
- An extravagant display.
- An expensive indulgence; a spree.
Origin: Perhaps blend of splash and surge.
- splurgˈy adjective