- The definition of a specimen is a person or thing that is an example of an entire group or class.
An example of a specimen is the Holstein cow in a child's book as a representative of all cows.
- a part of a whole, or one individual of a class or group, used as a sample or example of the whole, class, or group; typical part, individual, etc.
- Informal a (specified kind of) individual or person: an unsavory specimen
- Med. a sample, as of urine, sputum, or blood, for analysis
Origin: L, a mark, token, example from specere, to see: see spy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An individual, item, or part representative of a class, genus, or whole. See Synonyms at example.
- A sample, as of tissue, blood, or urine, used for analysis and diagnosis.
- Informal An individual; a person: a disagreeable specimen.
Origin: Latin, example, from specere, to look at; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
specimen - Medical Definition