- The way you feel after a sleeping pill is an example of something that would be described as a soporific medication.
- A speech that makes you drowsy is an example of something that would be described as a soporific presentation.
The definition of soporific is something that tends to make you tired or that makes you sleepy or drowsy.
- causing or tending to cause sleepalso sop·o·rif′er·ous
- of or characterized by sleep or sleepiness
Origin of soporificFrench soporifique: see sopor and -fic
something, as a drug, that causes sleep
- Inducing or tending to induce sleep.
A drug or other substance that induces sleep; a hypnotic.
(comparative more soporific, superlative most soporific)