Darcie made the situation worse by complaining to her coworkers rather than discussing the problem with her supervisor.
- An example of situation is a house down the street from a big tree.
- An example of situation is having to decide between two jobs.
- An example of situation is the number of people waiting for a table at a restaurant.
Situation is the way something is positioned as compared to its surroundings, or the status of the circumstances, or the combination of circumstances at a specific point in time.
- manner in which a thing is situated in relation to its surroundings; location; position
- a place; locality
- position or condition with regard to circumstances
- the combination of circumstances at any given time
- a difficult or critical state of affairs
- any significant combination of circumstances developing in the course of a novel, play, etc.
- Psychol. the objective conditions immediately affecting an individual
- a position of employment
Origin of situationLate Middle English setuacyon from Medieval Latin situatio: see situate
- a. The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a state of affairs. See Synonyms at state.b. A critical, problematic, or striking set of circumstances: We don't want this minor gaffe to turn into a situation.
- The way in which something is positioned vis-à-vis its surroundings: the town's situation on the river.
- Position or status with regard to conditions and circumstances: Their family's situation deteriorated during the recession.
- A position of employment; a post: found a nice situation with a software company.
- The way in which something is positioned vis-Ã -vis its surroundings.
- The Botanical Gardens are in a delightful situation on the river bank.
- The place in which something is situated; a location.
- Position or status with regard to conditions and circumstances.
- The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a state of affairs.
- The United States is in an awkward situation with debt default looming.
- (UK) A position of employment; a post.
- A difficult or unpleasant set of circumstances; a problem.
- Boss, we've got a situation here ...