- The definition of status is a person's standing, position or state.
- Middle class is an example of a person's financial status.
- Being in a position of power is an example of having status.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Position relative to that of others; standing: Her status is that of a guest.
- High standing; prestige: a position of status in the community.
- Law The legal character or condition of a person or thing: the status of a minor.
- A state of affairs; situation. See Synonyms at state.
Origin: Latin; see stā- in Indo-European roots.Usage Note: In a recent survey of the Usage Panel, 53 percent of the Panelists preferred the pronunciation (stătˈəs), 36 percent preferred (stāˈtəs), and 11 percent said they use both pronunciations. The pronunciation (stāˈtəs) is the older, more traditional pronunciation, and it remains the most common one in British English.
status - Cultural Definition
The relative position of an individual within a group, or of a group within a society.
- Though the term can refer to either high or low standing, it is often used only to imply a position of prestige.
status - Medical Definition