- The definition of a shrew is a long-nosed, skinny mammal that looks like a mouse.
An example of a shrew is the Etruscan shrew.
- Shrew is defined as a woman with a bad temper who nags or scolds.
An example of a shrew is a character in a novel that is angry for no reason all the time.
- any of a number of small, slender, mouselike insectivore mammals (esp. family Soricidae) with soft fur and a long, pointed snout
- a scolding, evil-tempered woman
Origin: Middle English schrewe, a malicious person from Old English screawa, shrewmouse, akin to Old High German scrawaz, dwarf, goblin, Middle High German schruwel, devil from Indo-European an unverified form (s)ker-: see shred
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of various small, chiefly insectivorous mammals of the family Soricidae, resembling a mouse but having a long pointed snout and small eyes and ears. Also called shrewmouse.
- A woman with a violent, scolding, or nagging temperament; a scold.
Origin: Middle English shrewe, villian, from Old English scrēawa, shrewmouse.