- The definition of a shrew is a long-nosed, skinny mammal that looks like a mouse.
An example of a shrew is the Etruscan shrew.
- Shrew is defined as a woman with a bad temper who nags or scolds.
An example of a shrew is a character in a novel that is angry for no reason all the time.
- any of a number of small, slender, mouselike, insectivorous mammals (esp. family Soricidae) with soft fur and a long, pointed snout
- a scolding, bad-tempered woman
Origin of shrewMiddle English schrewe, a malicious person ; from Old English screawa, shrewmouse, akin to Old High German scrawaz, dwarf, goblin, Middle High German schröuwel, devil ; from Indo-European an unverified form (s)ker-: see shred
- Any of various small, chiefly insectivorous mammals of the family Soricidae, resembling a mouse but having a long pointed snout and small eyes and ears. Also called shrewmouse.
- A woman regarded as an ill-tempered scold or nag.
Origin of shrewMiddle English shrewe, rascal, devil, evil creature, overbearing woman, from Old English scrēawa, shrewmouse.
(third-person singular simple present shrews, present participle shrewing, simple past and past participle shrewed)
Old English scrÄ“awa, of unknown origin.