- the state or quality of being senior; precedence in birth, rank, etc.
- status, priority, or precedence achieved by length of service, as in a given job
Origin of seniorityMedieval Latin senioritas
- The state of being older than another or others or higher in rank than another or others.
- Precedence of position, especially precedence over others of the same rank by reason of a longer span of service.
(countable and uncountable, plural seniorities)
- A measure of the amount of time a person has been a member of an organization, as compared to other members, and with an eye towards awarding privileges to those who have been members longer.
- It's an old-fashioned company, with parking spaces and other perks doled out on the basis of seniority.