The definition of longevity is the amount of time your life or your term of service lasts.
An example of longevity is the amount of time you work in a given career.
- long life; great span of life
- the length or duration of a life or lives
- length of time spent in service, employment, etc.
Origin of longevityClassical Latin longaevitas ; from longaevus: see longevous
- a. Long life; great duration of life: His longevity vexed his heirs.b. Length or duration of life or viability: comparing the longevity of men and women; factors that affect the longevity of seeds.
- Long duration or continuance, as in an occupation: had unusual longevity in the company; her longevity as a star.
Origin of longevityLate Latin longaevitās, from Latin longaevus, ancient : longus, long; see del-1 in Indo-European roots + aevum, age; see aiw- in Indo-European roots.