- The definition of a seminar is a class at a college or university, or is a formal meeting where discussion takes place.
A writing class where you attend and get feedback on your work is an example of a seminar.
- a group of supervised students doing research or advanced study, as at a university
- a course for such a group, or any of its sessions
- the room where the group meets
- any similar group discussion
Origin: Ger from Classical Latin seminarium: see seminary
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A small group of advanced students in a college or graduate school engaged in original research or intensive study under the guidance of a professor who meets regularly with them to discuss their reports and findings.b. A course of study so pursued.c. A scheduled meeting of such a group.
- A meeting for an exchange of ideas; a conference.
Origin: German, from Latin sēminārium, seed plot; see seminary.