Derek has to practice self restraint when attending social gatherings where alcohol is being served because he is a recovering alcoholic.
An example of self restraint is an alcoholic who prevents himself from giving into the temptation to drink.
- Self-control, control over one's emotions, passions and actions.
- His lack of self-restraint led to several ugly scenes of debauchery and violent outburst.
self- +"Ž restraint
- According to the Free Dictionary.com, the definition of discreet is "marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect."
- Though not altogether free from exaggeration and flattery, it is marked by considerable dignity and self-restraint, and is thus more important as an historical document than similar productions.
- John's self-restraint had strengthened his position, and he began again to think of his Spanish scheme.
- On these grounds it was actually laid down as a rule for a man solicitous for his spiritual welfare to pass the last two of the four stages ((anima) of his life in such conditions of renunciation and self-restraint.
- This grand feat of arms was marked by many points of interest, such as the capture of the Dutch ships, which were frozen in the Helder, by the French hussars, and the splendid discipline of the ragged battalions in Amsterdam, who, with the richest city of the continent to sack, yet behaved with a self-restraint which few revolutionary and Napoleonic armies attained.