- The definition of a sandwich is two slices of bread with filling in between them, or something arranged in this layered form.
An example of a sandwich is peanut butter and jelly between two pieces of whole wheat bread.
- Sandwich is defined as to squeeze or place between two people or things.
An example of sandwich is to wiggle and squeeze into line between two people.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
sandwich definition by Webster's New World
- two or more slices of bread with a filling of meat, fish, cheese, jam, etc. between them: now sometimes used of a single slice of bread covered with meat, gravy, etc.
- anything in a layered arrangement like a sandwich
Origin: after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich (1718-92), said to have eaten these in order not to leave the gaming table for meals
Origin: Old English Sandwic ; from sand, sand plush wic, wick
sandwich definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Two or more slices of bread with a filling such as meat or cheese placed between them.b. A partly split long or round roll containing a filling.c. One slice of bread covered with a filling.
- Something resembling a sandwich.
- To make into or as if into a sandwich.
- To insert (one thing) tightly between two other things of differing character or quality.
- To make room or time for: sandwiched a vacation between business trips.
Origin: After John Montagu, Fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), British politician.