- a person who grinds; specif., one whose work is sharpening tools, etc.
- a thing that grinds; specif.,
- any of various machines for crushing or sharpening
- a molar tooth
- [pl.]Informal the teeth
- New England hero sandwich
Origin of grinderMiddle English and Old English grindere
- One that grinds, especially:a. One who sharpens cutting edges.b. A mechanical device that grinds: a meat grinder.
- A molar.
- grinders Informal The teeth.
- See submarine sandwich.
- One who grinds something, such as the teeth.
- (anatomical) A molar.
- A power tool with a spinning abrasive disc, used for grinding, smoothing, and shaping materials, usually metal.
- A sandwich made on a long, cylindrical roll.
- I am going to the deli to get a grinder for lunch.
- A kitchen gadget for processing coffee, herbs etc. into small or powdered pieces
- The restless flycatcher (Seisura inquieta) of Australia, which makes a noise like a scissors grinder.
The usage of grinder and related terms for sandwiches varies widely. In the Philadelphia area, for example, a "grinder" is distinguished from a "hoagie" in that the grinder is toasted or baked, and usually lacks lettuce.
grind + -er