A recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
- A set of instructions telling you how to make chocolate chip cookies is an example of a recipe.
- Making bad decisions is an example of a recipe for disaster.
- prescription (sense )
- a list of materials and directions for preparing a dish or drink
- any procedure for accomplishing something
Origin of recipeL, imperative of recipere: see receive
- A set of directions with a list of ingredients for making or preparing something, especially food.
- A formula for or means to a desired end: a recipe for success.
- A medical prescription.
Origin of recipeLatin, sing. imperative of recipere, to take, receive; see receive.
- (medicine, archaic) A formula for preparing or using a medicine; a prescription; also, a medicine prepared from such instructions. [from 16th c.]
- Any set of instructions for preparing a mixture of ingredients. [from 17th c.]
- By extension, a plan or procedure to obtain a given end result. [from 17th c.]
- His new approach is definitely a recipe for success.
- Now especially, a set of instructions for making or preparing food dishes. [from 18th c.]