- The definition of a prescription is a written order to do something or the act of making such an order.
An example of a prescription is a doctor's note telling a patient what type of medication to get.
- the act of prescribing
- something prescribed; order; direction; prescript
- a doctor's written direction for the preparation and use of medicine, the grinding of lenses for eyeglasses, etc.
- a medicine so prescribed
- a long-established, authoritative custom
- a claim based on this
- the acquirement of the title or right to something through its continued use or possession from time immemorial or over a long period
- a right or title so acquired
Origin of prescriptionMiddle English prescripcion ; from Classical Latin praescriptio
- a. The action of establishing a rule, law, or direction.b. Something that is prescribed; a rule, law, or direction: prescriptions for living a moral life.
- a. A written order, especially by a physician, for the preparation and administration of a medicine or other treatment.b. A prescribed medicine or other treatment: Have you used up all of your prescription?c. An ophthalmologist's or optometrist's written instruction, as for the grinding of corrective lenses.
- Law The acquisition of an easement or of title to property by use or occupancy that exceeds the time allowed to another to recover it by statutory right.
Origin of prescriptionMiddle English prescripcion, establishment of a claim, from Old French prescription, from Medieval Latin praescrīptiō, praescrīptiōn-, from Latin, introduction, precept, from praescrīptus, past participle of praescrībere, to order; see prescribe.
- (law) The act of prescribing a rule, law, etc..
- "Jurisdiction to prescribe" is a state's authority to make its laws applicable to certain persons or activities. -- Richard G. Alexander, Iran and Libya Sanctions Act of 1996: Congress exceeds its jurisdiction to prescribe law. Washington and Lee Law Review, 1997.
- (law) A period of time within which a right must be exercised, unless the right is extinguished.
- (medicine) A written order, as by a physician or nurse practitioner, for the administration of a medicine or other intervention. See also scrip.
- The surgeon wrote a prescription for a pain killer and physical therapy.
- (medicine) The prescription medicine or intervention so prescribed.
- The pharmacist gave her a bottle containing her prescription.
- (ophthalmology) The formal description of the lens geometry needed for spectacles, etc..
- The optician followed the optometrist's prescription for her new eyeglasses.
- A piece of advice.
- "Early to bed and early to rise" is a prescription for a healthy lifestyle.
prescription - Legal Definition