It is a primal instinct for a new mother to comfort her newborn.
An example of something that would be described as primal is a mother's protective instincts towards her children.
- first in time; original; primitive
- first in importance; primary
- fundamental; basic: the primal urge to procreate
Origin of primalMedieval Latin primalis from Classical Latin primus, first: see prime
- Being first in time; original; primeval.
- Of first importance; primary.
Origin of primalMedieval Latin prīmālis from Latin prīmus first ; see per1 in Indo-European roots.