- The definition of a plaza is a public square, or a shopping area.
An example of a plaza is a local mall.
plaza definition by Webster's New World
- a public square or marketplace in a city or town
- an open area, usually paved, between a building and the street or another building, often having statues, shrubs, etc.
- a complex of shops or buildings, esp. a shopping center
- a service area along a superhighway, with a restaurant, gas station, etc.also service plaza
Origin: Spanish ; from Classical Latin platea: see place
plaza definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A public square or similar open area in a town or city.
- a. A widened roadway forming the approach to tollbooths on a highway.b. A parking or service area next to a highway.
- A shopping center.
Origin: Spanish, from Vulgar Latin *plattea, from Latin platea, broad street; see place.