- The definition of a plaza is a public square, or a shopping area.
An example of a plaza is a local mall.
- a public square or marketplace in a city or town
- an open area, usually paved, between a building and the street or another building, often having statues, shrubs, etc.
- a complex of shops or buildings, esp. a shopping center
- a service area along a superhighway, with a restaurant, gas station, etc.also service plaza
Origin of plazaSpanish ; from Classical Latin platea: see place
- A public square or similar open area in a town or city.
- a. A widened roadway forming the approach to tollbooths on a highway.b. A parking or service area next to a highway.
- A shopping center.
Origin of plazaSpanish, from Vulgar Latin *plattea, from Latin platea, broad street; see place.
- a townâ€™s public square.
- an open area used for gathering in a city, often having small trees and sitting benches.
From Spanish plaza (â€œtown-square or central place of gatheringâ€), from Latin platea, from Ancient Greek Ï€Î»Î±Ï„Îµá¿–Î± (plateia), shortening of Ï€Î»Î±Ï„Îµá¿–Î± (plateia) á½Î´ÏŒÏ‚ (plateia hodos, â€œbroad wayâ€).