a person or thing that picks; specif.,
- Informal a musician who plays guitar, banjo, etc., esp. in country music
- a machine for picking fibers
Weaving a device that throws the shuttle through the warp
Origin of pickerpick + -er
- Agent noun of pick; one who picks.
- The apple picker climbed the tree.
- (computing, graphical user interface) Any user interface control that selects something.
- a date picker
- (engineering) A machine for picking fibrous materials to pieces so as to loosen and separate the fibre.
- (weaving) The piece in a loom that strikes the end of the shuttle and impels it through the warp.
- (military) A priming wire for cleaning the vent, in ordnance.
- (slang, gold panning) A fragment of gold smaller than a nugget but large enough to be picked up.
pick +"Ž -er