Variant of fiber.
(plural fibres) (UK, Canada, New Zealand)
- (countable) A single piece of a given material, elongated and roughly round in cross-section, often twisted with other fibres to form thread.
- The microscope showed several different fibres stuck to the sole of the shoe.
- (uncountable) Material in the form of fibres.
- The cloth was made from strange, somewhat rough fibre.
- Dietary fibre.
- Fresh vegetables are a good source of fibre.
- Moral strength and resolve.
- The ordeal was a test of everyone’s fibre.
- (mathematics) The preimage of a given point in the range of a map.
- Under this map, any two values in the fibre of a given point on the circle differ by 2π
- (computing) A kind of lightweight thread of execution.
From French fibre