- Physic is a drug or medicine, particularly a laxative.
An example of a physic is an over-the-counter medication for constipation.
physic definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic the art or science of healing; medical science
- a medicine or remedy, esp. a laxative or cathartic
Origin: Middle English fisike ; from Old French fisique ; from Classical Latin physica, natural science (in Midieval Latin medicine) ; from Classical Greek physikē ; from physis, nature ; from phyein, to produce, become: see be
physic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A medicine or drug, especially a cathartic.
- Archaic The art or profession of medicine.
- To act on as a cathartic.
- To cure or heal.
- To treat with or as if with medicine.
Origin: Middle English phisik, from Old French fisique, medical science, natural science, from Latin, natural science, from Greek phusikē, feminine of phusikos, of nature, from phusis, nature; see bheuə- in Indo-European roots.
physic - Medical Definition