- An example of a nostrum is a fake diet pill.
- An example of a nostrum is an herbal medicine from an herbalist.
The definition of a nostrum is a scheme or medicine for solving a problem, or a medication sold and made by the same person.
- a medicine prepared by the person selling it
- a patent medicine of a kind sold with exaggerated claims; quack medicine
- a pet scheme for solving some social or political problem; panacea
Origin of nostrumL, neuter of noster, ours (; from nos, we: see us): uncertain or unknown; perhaps so called from the seller's calling it “our” remedy
- A medicine whose effectiveness is unproved and whose ingredients are usually secret; a quack remedy.
- A favorite but usually ineffective remedy for problems or evils.
Origin of nostrumFrom Latin nostrum (remedium), our (remedy), neuter of noster; see nes-2 in Indo-European roots.
(plural nostrums or nostra)
From Latin nostrum (“ours"), nominative neuter of noster (“our, ours").