parenthetical[par′ən t̸het′i kəl]
- The definition of parenthetical is enclosed in parenthesis.
An example of a parenthetical phrase is the last part of the sentence: "I bought ice cream last night (and it was really good!)."
- of or having the nature of a parenthesis
- placed within parentheses
- interjected as qualifying information or explanation
- using or containing parentheses
Origin of parentheticalMedieval Latin parentheticus
- Set off within or as if within parentheses; qualifying or explanatory: a parenthetical remark.
- Using or containing parentheses.
- a word or phrase within parentheses