- The definition of parenthetical is enclosed in parenthesis.
An example of a parenthetical phrase is the last part of the sentence: "I bought ice cream last night (and it was really good!)."
parenthetical definition by Webster's New World
- of or having the nature of a parenthesis
- placed within parentheses
- interjected as qualifying information or explanation
- using or containing parentheses
Origin: Midieval Latin parentheticus
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- parenthetically adverb
parenthetical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective also par·en·thet·ic
- Set off within or as if within parentheses; qualifying or explanatory: a parenthetical remark.
- Using or containing parentheses.
A parenthetical word, phrase, or remark.
- parˌen·thetˈi·cal·ly adverb