- The definition of tangential is something only partially related to a main point, or something that verges slightly off-course.
An example of tangential is when you are talking about global warming and you veer off into a discussion of other environmental subjects that aren't directly related to global warming.
- of, like, or in the direction of a tangent
- drawn as a tangent
- going off at a tangent; diverging or digressing
- merely touching a subject, not dealing with it at length
- tangentially adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or moving along or in the direction of a tangent.
- Merely touching or slightly connected.
- Only superficially relevant; divergent: a tangential remark.
- tan·genˌti·alˈi·ty noun
- tan·genˈtial·ly adverb