Origin of explanatoryLate Latin explanatorius
The definition of explanatory is something that makes things more clear.
An example of explanatory is a science teacher describing to his students how plants need sunlight to grow.
Serving or intended to explain: an explanatory paragraph.
- These collections contain introductions and explanatory passages by the author.
- A copy of the orders and an explanatory letter were in fact despatched to the II.
- And many of his simply technical and explanatory notes have the same quality.
- Friedlein (Leipzig, 1867); German translation of the De Musica, with explanatory notes, by O.
- Besides numerous contributions to the Proceedings of the Royal and the Royal Astronomical Societies, he published several books, both explanatory and speculative.