pang in back
- An example of a pang is jealousy felt from seeing your recent ex-girlfriend in a restaurant with her new boyfriend.
- An example of a pang is the sting from a body piercing.
Origin of pang; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Late Middle English pronge: see prong
- A sudden sharp bodily pain: hunger pangs. See Synonyms at pain.
- A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress: a pang of guilt.
intransitive verbpanged, pang·ing, pangs
- To feel sharp bodily pains.
- To feel pangs of distress.
Origin of pangOrigin unknown.
- birth pangs
- pang of conscience
(third-person singular simple present pangs, present participle panging, simple past and past participle panged)
From Middle English *pange, an altered form of prange, pronge (“pang, throe, stab etc.")