- The definition of a pane is a panel or a framed part of a window or door.
An example of a pane is a piece of glass in a window frame.
A window with four panes of glass.
pane definition by Webster's New World
- a piece or division, esp. if flat and rectangular; specif.,
- a single division of a window, etc., consisting of a sheet of glass in a frame
- such a sheet of glass
- a panel, as of a door, wall, etc.
- any of the flat sides, or faces, as of a nut, bolt head, cut diamond, etc.
- a separate section of stamps, variously a quarter, half, or full sheet, as cut for sale
- a block of stamps sold in a bookletin full booklet pane
Origin: Middle English pan ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin pannus, piece of cloth ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pan-, fabric from source Classical Greek pēnos, cloth, Old English fana, banner
pane definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A framed section of a window or door that is usually filled with a sheet of glass or other transparent material.b. The transparent material used to fill such a section.
- A panel, as of a door or wall.
- One of the flat surfaces or facets of an object, such as a bolt, having many sides.
Origin: Middle English, section, pane of glass, from Old French pan, piece of cloth, panel, from Latin pannus, cloth; see pan- in Indo-European roots.
pane - Computer Definition
A rectangular area within an on-screen window that contains information for the user. A window may have many panes. See menu pane.