- Rare, Archaic something round, or circular
- a round ornamental panel, plate, niche, etc.
- a small, round window or pane
- Archaic a rondeau
- an English variation of the rondeau, with eleven lines (three stanzas), the fourth and eleventh being the refrain
- roundelay (sense )
Origin of roundelMiddle English from Old French rondel, origin, originally diminutive of roont, round
- A circular architectural or decorative element, such as a painted panel or a stained glass window.
- a. A rondel.b. A rondeau.
Origin of roundelMiddle English from Old French rondel diminutive of rond circle, round ; see round1.
- Anything having a round form; a round figure; a circle.
- (music) A roundelay or rondelay.
- A small circular shield, sometimes not more than a foot in diameter, used by soldiers in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
- (heraldry) A circular spot; a charge in the form of a small coloured circle.
- (aviation) a circular insignia painted on an aircraft to identify its nationality or service.
- A bastion of a circular form.