- a piece or division, esp. if flat and rectangular; specif.,
- a single division of a window, etc., consisting of a sheet of glass in a frame
- such a sheet of glass
- a panel, as of a door, wall, etc.
- any of the flat sides, or faces, as of a nut, bolt head, cut diamond, etc.
- a separate section of stamps, variously a quarter, half, or full sheet, as cut for sale
- a block of stamps sold in a bookletin full booklet pane
Origin of paneMiddle English pan from Old French from Classical Latin pannus, piece of cloth from Indo-European base an unverified form pan-, fabric from source Classical Greek p?nos, cloth, Old English fana, banner