- An example of over the top is when your husband takes you out on a great romantic night that was way better than you were hoping for, getting you lots of flowers and candy and presents.
- An example of over the top is an ugly dress you have to wear as a bridesmaid that has tons and tons of pearls and feathers and frills.
The definition of over the top refers to something that is taken to excess and may be considered outrageous.
Informal so unconventional, exaggerated, or excessive as to be considered outrageous, unbelievable, ridiculous, etc.
Exceeding the normal bounds; immoderate; extravagant: “The hotel pours it on. You're in for an over-the-top experience” (Travel & Leisure).
- Alternative spelling of over the top.
(comparative more over the top, superlative most over the top)
- Over the top occurs only following a copula as the object of a sentence, as above, whereas
- Over-the-top is used where the adjective occurs before the word it modifies, as
- He gave an over-the-top performance.