over-the-top[ō′vər t̸hə täp′]
- The definition of over the top refers to something that is taken to excess and may be considered outrageous.
- An example of over the top is when your husband takes you out on a great romantic night that was way better than you were hoping for, getting you lots of flowers and candy and presents.
- An example of over the top is an ugly dress you have to wear as a bridesmaid that has tons and tons of pearls and feathers and frills.
so unconventional, exaggerated, or excessive as to be considered outrageous, unbelievable, ridiculous, etc.
Exceeding the normal bounds; immoderate; extravagant: “The hotel pours it on. You're in for an over-the-top experience” (Travel & Leisure).
- Alternative spelling of over the top.
(comparative more over the top, superlative most over the top)
- Over the top occurs only following a copula as the object of a sentence, as above, whereas
- Over-the-top is used where the adjective occurs before the word it modifies, as
- He gave an over-the-top performance.