over the topo·ver-the-top
- An example of over the top is when your husband takes you out on a great romantic night that was way better than you were hoping for, getting you lots of flowers and candy and presents.
- An example of over the top is an ugly dress you have to wear as a bridesmaid that has tons and tons of pearls and feathers and frills.
The definition of over the top refers to something that is taken to excess and may be considered outrageous.
Informal so unconventional, exaggerated, or excessive as to be considered outrageous, unbelievable, ridiculous, etc.
Exceeding the normal bounds; immoderate; extravagant: “The hotel pours it on. You're in for an over-the-top experience” ( Travel & Leisure )
- Alternative spelling of over the top.
(comparative more over the top, superlative most over the top)
- Over the top occurs only following a copula as the object of a sentence, as above, whereas
- Over-the-top is used where the adjective occurs before the word it modifies, as
- He gave an over-the-top performance.
- Labels such as Biscotti, Baby CZ, D&G and Chloe manufacture adorable, high quality designs, none of which are particularly over-the-top when it comes to fashion, but include just enough pink and ruffles to make an adorable ensemble.
- With all of these elements competing for attention, one might expect the Manor to be an over-the-top, ostentatious bag - but it's really quite the opposite, since only a few of these details are incorporated in a Manor bag at one time.
- Any material can be installed on a backsplash, which means that you can have an inexpensive splash for one hundred dollars, or an over-the-top splash that costs ten thousand, which consists of a handpainted mural and decorative tiles.
- No expense was spared with any of the over-the-top nuptials featured on the show, which only lasted for one season but helped launch a string of copycat reality shows featuring glamorous - and incredibly expensive - weddings.
- Instead of the dark and shadowy realms of Burton's Batman world, the Schumacher versions in this movie are loud, in your face with bright colors and are so over-the-top that it's hard to take any of the characters seriously.