- The definition of a parapet is a wall or wall-like structure, often used to protect troops in a battle.
An example of a parapet is a low wall surrounding the balcony of a home.
The parapet of an old castle in Switzerland.
parapet definition by Webster's New World
- a wall or bank used to screen troops from frontal enemy fire, sometimes placed along the top of a rampart
- a low wall or railing, as along a balcony
Origin: French ; from Italian parapetto ; from parare, to guard (; from Classical Latin prepare) plush petto, breast ; from Classical Latin pectus
- parapeted adjective
parapet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A low protective wall or railing along the edge of a raised structure such as a roof or balcony.
- An earthen or stone embankment protecting soldiers from enemy fire. See Synonyms at bulwark.
Origin: French, from Italian parapetto : parare, to shield; see parasol + petto, chest (from Latin pectus).