- The definition of an oasis is a fertile place where there is water in the midst of a desert or a place of calm in the midst of chaos.
- An example of an oasis is an underground spring in a desert.
- An example of an oasis is a calm and peaceful room in the midst of a chaotic house.
An oasis in a desert.
oasis definition by Webster's New World
- a fertile place in a desert, due to the presence of water
- any place or thing offering welcome relief as from difficulty or dullness
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek fertile spot: origin, originally Coptic
oasis definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. o·a·ses
- A fertile or green spot in a desert or wasteland, made so by the presence of water.
- A situation or place preserved from surrounding unpleasantness; a refuge: an oasis of serenity amid chaos.
Origin: From Late Latin Oasis, an oasis in the Libyan desert, from Greek, from Coptic ouahe, from Egyptian wḥ't.
oasis - Computer Definition
(Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards, Billerica, MA, www.oasis-open.org) A membership organization founded in 1993 as SGML Open in Pittsburgh, PA. It was renamed OASIS Open in 1998 when its scope broadened to embrace XML and related e-commerce and Web technologies. More than 5,000 active participants from over 100 member companies work on developing Web services and related standards. OASIS sponsors seminars, conference panels, exhibits and other educational events. In 2002, OASIS absorbed UDDI.org, the organization involved with UDDI standards.
oasis - Science Definition
Plural OASES oases