- a fool; simpleton
- any of a genus (Anous) of tropical terns with dark body feathers and pale gray crown
Origin of noddyfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps nod + -y
- A dunce or fool; a simpleton.
- Any of several terns of the genera Anous and Procelsterna, found in tropical waters and usually having dark brown or black plumage with a white or gray head.
Origin of noddyPerhaps from obsolete noddy foolish possibly from nod
Probably a shortening of noddypoll, a now obsolete alteration of hoddypoll, "fumbling inept person".
- Any of several stout-bodied, gregarious terns of the genera Anous and Procelsterna, found in tropical seas.
- (dated) A small two-wheeled vehicle drawn by a single horse.
- An inverted pendulum consisting of a short vertical flat spring which supports a rod having a bob at the top; used for detecting and measuring slight horizontal vibrations of a body to which it is attached.
nod +"Ž -y?
nod +"Ž -y, coined by John Fiske in 1987.