- The definition of missionary is something that relates to the work or style of someone on a religious mission.
An example of missionary is how you would describe the summer building project of a church group, a missionary trip.
- Missionary is defined as someone who is sent somewhere to teach ideas, specifically religious ideas.
An example of a missionary is a Christian who set up a school in a poor town.
Origin: ModL (Ec) missionarius
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. mis·sion·ar·ies
- One who is sent on a mission, especially one sent to do religious or charitable work in a territory or foreign country.
- One who attempts to persuade or convert others to a particular program, doctrine, or set of principles; a propagandist.
- Of or relating to missions or missionaries.
- Engaged in the activities of a mission or missionary.
- Tending to propagandize or use insistent persuasion: missionary fervor.