- The definition of mischievous is someone or something that causes harm or likes to play and annoy with tricks.
- An example of mischievous is setting up traps for people to trip on.
- An example of mischievous is a child doing something even though they've been told not to.
mischievous definition by Webster's New World
- causing mischief; specif.,
- injurious; harmful
- prankish; teasing; full of tricks
- inclined to annoy or vex with playful tricks; naughty: said esp. of a child
Origin: Middle English mischevous ; from Anglo-French
mischievous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Causing mischief.
- Playful in a naughty or teasing way.
- Troublesome; irritating: a mischievous prank.
- Causing harm, injury, or damage: mischievous rumors and falsehoods.
Origin: Middle English mischevous, from mischef, mischief; see mischief.
- misˈchie·vous·ly adverb
- misˈchie·vous·ness noun