- The definition of maternity is something related to giving birth.
An example of maternity used as an adjective is in the phrase "maternity clothes," which means clothes made for pregnant women.
- Maternity is defined as the state of being a mother.
An example of maternity is when a woman has children.
Maternity is motherhood.
- the state of being a mother; motherhood
- the character or qualities of a mother; motherliness
- a maternity ward in a hospital
Origin of maternityFrench maternité ; from Medieval Latin maternitas ; from Classical Latin maternus, maternal
- for a woman when pregnant or around the time of giving birth: maternity dress, maternity leave
- for the care of women giving birth and of newborn babies: a maternity ward
- The state of being a mother; motherhood.
- The feelings or characteristics associated with being a mother; motherliness.
- A maternity ward.
Origin of maternityFrench maternité, from Medieval Latin māternitās, from Latin māternus, maternal; see maternal.
(countable and uncountable, plural maternities)
- paternity (with respect to gender)
- maternity bra
- maternity leave
- maternity wear, maternitywear