- Pregnancy is defined as the state of carrying a baby in your uterus.
An example of pregnancy is carrying a child that you give birth to after nine months.
pregnancy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. pregnancies
the condition, quality, or period of being pregnant
pregnancy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
noun pl. preg·nan·cies
- a. The condition of being pregnant: a test for pregnancy.b. An instance of being pregnant: Her second pregnancy was easy.c. The period during which one is pregnant: the first trimester of pregnancy.
- The quality or condition of being rich in significance, import, or implication.
- Creativity; inventiveness.
pregnancy - Ologies & -Isms Definition
Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
cyesiology Obsolete, the part of medical science that studies pregnancy. cyesis Medicine. the condition of pregnancy. eccyesis a pregnancy that takes place outside the uterus. embryography the scientific description of the fetus. —embryographic, adj. fetology the branch of medicine that studies fetuses. —fetologist, foetologist, n. gravidity the state or condition of pregnancy. —gravidness, n. —gravid, adj. obstetrics the medical specialty that deals with pregnancy and childbirth. —obstetrician, n. —obstetric, obstetrical, adj. pregnancy the state, condition, or quality of being with child. —pregnant, adj.
pregnancy - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The condition of a woman or female mammal from conception until birth; the condition of being pregnant.
- The period during which a woman or female mammal is pregnant. Also called cyesis.
pregnancy - Science Definition
- The condition of carrying developing offspring within the body.
- The time period during which this condition exists; gestation.