- the state or time of being a human being or, esp., an adult male human being
- manly qualities; manliness
- status or prestige associated with manliness: public humiliation robbed him of his manhood
- men collectively
Origin of manhoodMiddle English manhod, manhede: see man + -hood
- The state or time of being an adult male human.
- The composite of qualities, such as courage, determination, and vigor, often thought to be appropriate to a man.
- Adult males considered as a group; men.
- The state of being human.
- The male penis or genitals.
(countable and uncountable, plural manhoods)
- The state of being man as a human being.
- He feared the speedy decline of all manhood.
- State of being a man as distinguished from a child or a woman.
- A strapping youth poised on the brink of manhood.
- The qualities ascribed to manliness; courage; bravery; resolve.
- The male genitalia.
- She spied on him in the shower and glimpsed his manhood.
- Men, considered as a group.