- The definition of childhood refers to the years of your youth, typically it refers to the time before you turn 13 and become a teenager, although it can also refer to the time until you are 18 and considered legally an adult.
An example of childhood is the time you spend as a toddler and young adult living in your parents' home.
Happy days of childhood.
- the state or time of being a child; esp., the period from infancy to puberty
- an early stage of development
Origin of childhoodMiddle English childhod ; from Old English cildhad: see child and amp; -hood
- The time or state of being a child.
- The early stage in the existence or development of something: the childhood of Western civilization.
From Middle English childhod, from Old English ċildhād (“childhood”), from ċild (“child”) + -hād (“-hood”), equivalent to child + -hood.