- Gallantry is defined as nobility or courage.
An example of gallantry is the courage to save a damsel in distress.
gallantry definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. gallantries
- nobility of behavior or spirit; heroic courage
- the courtly manner of a gallant
- an act or speech characteristic of a gallant
- amorous intrigue
- Archaic showy appearance
Origin: French galanterie ; from Old French galant: see gallant
gallantry definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. gal·lant·ries
- Nobility of spirit or action; courage.
- Chivalrous attention toward women; courtliness: “the air of faintly mocking gallantry with which he habitually treated mother” (Louis Auchincloss).
- The act or an instance of gallant speech or behavior.
- Archaic A bold or stylish appearance.