- The definition of kitchen is a room or area a home or building where food is cooked or prepared.
An example of a kitchen is the room in your home that has a stove, refrigerator and cabinets for storing food.
Mother and daughters cooking in the kitchen.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a room or place or the equipment for the preparation and cooking of food
- a staff that cooks and serves food
Origin: Middle English kychene from Old English cycene from Vulgar Latin cocina, cucina: see cuisine
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A room or an area equipped for preparing and cooking food.
- A style of cooking; cuisine: a restaurant with a fine French kitchen.
- A staff that prepares, cooks, and serves food.
Origin: Middle English kichene, from Old English cycene, probably from Vulgar Latin *cocīna, from Late Latin coquīna, from feminine of Latin coquīnus, of cooking, from coquus, cook, from coquere, to cook; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.