Mother and daughters cooking in the kitchen.
The definition of kitchen is a room or area a home or building where food is cooked or prepared.
An example of a kitchen is the room in your home that has a stove, refrigerator and cabinets for storing food.
- a room or place or the equipment for the preparation and cooking of food
- a staff that cooks and serves food
Origin of kitchenMiddle English kychene from Old English cycene from Vulgar Latin cocina, cucina: see cuisine
- A room or an area equipped for preparing and cooking food.
- A style of cooking; cuisine: a restaurant with a fine French kitchen.
- A staff that prepares, cooks, and serves food.
Origin of kitchenMiddle English kichene from Old English cycene probably from Vulgar Latin cocīna from Late Latin coquīna from feminine of Latin coquīnus of cooking from coquus cook from coquere to cook ; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.
- A surname.