- The definition of a pantry is a small room or closet off the kitchen where food and dishes are stored.
A closet in your house off the kitchen where you keep all of the bulk food you buy at Costco, plus your cereal and your bags of chips is an example of a pantry.
An old-fashioned kitchen pantry.
pantry definition by Webster's New World
- a small room or closet off the kitchen, where cooking ingredients and utensils, china, etc. are kept
- a small room between the kitchen and dining room for storing tableware and for serving
- a larder or buttery
Origin: Middle English paneterie ; from Old French ; from Midieval Latin panetaria ; from Classical Latin panis, bread: see food
pantry definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pan·tries
- A small room or closet, usually off a kitchen, where food, tableware, linens, and similar items are stored.
- A small room used for the preparation of cold foods.
Origin: Middle English pantrie, from Old French paneterie, bread-closet, from panetier, pantry servant, from pan, bread, from Latin pānis; see pā- in Indo-European roots.