- The definition of closet is something secret or unproven.
- An example of closet is a manly man who secretly enjoys chick flicks; a closet chick flick watcher.
- An example of closet is the universe being created by the "big bang;" closet belief in single-event creation.
- Closet is defined as a small space where clothes or other items are stored, or is slang for an environment of secrecy.
- An example of a closet is where you hang your jackets.
- An example of a closet is keeping one's homosexual orientation a secret; being in the closet.
An empty closet.
closet definition by Webster's New World
- a small room or cupboard for clothes, household supplies, linens, etc.
- a small, private room for reading, meditation, etc.
- a monarch's private chamber as for prayer or conference
- water closet
- a state of secrecy, esp. concerning personal homosexual orientation or activity: used with the
Origin: Old French small enclosure, diminutive of clos: see close
- private, secret, or clandestine: a closet drinker
- marked by theorizing; speculative: closet thinking
closet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A cabinet or enclosed recess for linens, household supplies, or clothing.
- A small private chamber, as for study or prayer.
- A water closet; a toilet.
- A state of secrecy or cautious privacy: Two days before the election, the candidate suddenly came out of the closet and denounced the proposed law.
- Private; confidential: closet information.
- Being so or engaging only in private; secret: a closet proponent of a tax increase; a closet alcoholic.
- Based on theory and speculation rather than practice.
Origin: Middle English, private room, from Old French, diminutive of clos, enclosure, from Latin clausum, from neuter of clausus, enclosed; see close.
- closˈet·fulˌ noun