- a small room or cupboard for clothes, household supplies, linens, etc.
- a small, private room for reading, meditation, etc.
- a monarch's private chamber as for prayer or conference
- water closet
- a state of secrecy, esp. concerning personal homosexual orientation or activity: used with the
Origin of closetOFr, small enclosure, diminutive of clos: see close
- private, secret, or clandestine: a closet drinker
- marked by theorizing; speculative: closet thinking
- to shut up in a private room for confidential discussion: to closet oneself with councilors
- to hide (someone or something): often with away