- a large basket; specif.,
- a wicker basket for carrying loads on the back
- either of a pair of baskets hung across the back of a donkey, horse, etc. for carrying loads
- a bag, usually one of a pair, for stowing one's gear, hung alongside the wheel of a bicycle or motorcycle
- a framework, as of whalebone, wire, etc., used as formerly to puff out a skirt at the hips
- a skirt extended or puffed at the hips to give the effect of such a framework
Origin of pannierMiddle English panier ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin panarium, breadbasket ; from panis, bread: see food
- A large wicker basket, especially:a. One of a pair of baskets carried on the shoulders of a person or on either side of a pack animal.b. A basket carried on a person's back.
- A basket or pack, usually one of a pair, that fastens to the rack of a bicycle and hangs over the side of one of the wheels.
- a. A framework of wire, bone, or other material formerly used to expand a woman's skirt at the hips.b. A skirt or an overskirt puffed out at the hips.
Origin of pannierMiddle English panier, from Old French, from Latin panarium, breadbasket, from panis, bread; see pa- in Indo-European roots.
top: wicker panniers on a pole
bottom: panniers on a bicycle