- something made or done to cheat or deceive; fraud; sham; hoax
- misleading, dishonest, or empty talk; nonsense
- a person who is not what he claims to be; impostor
- a spirit of trickery, deception, etc.
- Brit. a striped hard candy
Origin of humbug18th-c. slang: origin, originally reference uncertain
- Something intended to deceive; a hoax or fraud.
- A person who claims to be other than what he or she is; an impostor.
- Nonsense; rubbish.
- Pretense; deception.
verbhum·bugged, hum·bug·ging, hum·bugs
Origin of humbugOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present humbugs, present participle humbugging, simple past and past participle humbugged)