- something made or done to cheat or deceive; fraud; sham; hoax
- misleading, dishonest, or empty talk; nonsense
- a person who is not what he claims to be; impostor
- a spirit of trickery, deception, etc.
- Brit. a striped hard candy
Origin: 18th-c. slang: origin, originally reference uncertain
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something intended to deceive; a hoax or fraud.
- A person who claims to be other than what he or she is; an impostor.
- Nonsense; rubbish.
- Pretense; deception.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- humˈbugˌger noun
- humˈbugˌger·y noun