- hitting and then escaping: usually of an automobile driver who flees from the scene of an accident in which he or she is involved
- Baseball designating a prearranged play in which a runner on base starts running as the pitch is made and the batter must attempt to hit the ball to protect the runner
See hit-and-run in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Being or involving the driver of a motor vehicle who leaves the scene of an accident, especially one in which a pedestrian or another vehicle has been struck.
- Baseball Relating to or being a play in which a base runner starts to run on the pitch and the batter attempts to hit the ball to protect the runner.
- Involving or designed for swift specific action or effect: “a day of hit-and-run disturbances by bands of dissident students” (Alfonso Narvaez).
Learn more about hit-and-run