- The definition of a thump is a loud dull noise, or the action that makes this sound.
An example of a thump is a pile of clothes falling from a chair to a hardwood floor.
- Thump is defined as to hit and make a dull noise.
An example of thump is the tap of a rabbit's foot on the ground when they signal danger.
thump definition by Webster's New World
- a blow with something heavy and blunt, as with a cudgel
- the dull sound made by such a blow
- to strike with a thump or thumps
- to thrash; beat severely
- to defeat decisively
- to hit or fall with a thump
- to make a dull, heavy sound; pound; throb
- thumper noun
thump definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A blow with a blunt object.
- The muffled sound produced by or as if by a blow with a blunt object; a thud.
- To beat with or as if with a blunt object so as to produce a muffled sound or thud.
- Informal To beat soundly or thoroughly; drub.
- To hit or fall in such a way as to produce a thump; pound.
- To walk with heavy steps; stump.
- To throb audibly.
Origin: Probably of imitative origin.
- thumpˈer noun