- The definition of a gulp is an amount swallowed, or an act of deep or quick swallowing or inhaling.
An example of a gulp is swallowing two ounces of water all in one swig.
- Gulp is defined as to swallow or inhale quickly or deeply.
An example of gulp is to swallow massive swigs of soda.
- to swallow hastily, greedily, or in large amounts
- to choke back as if swallowing; repress (a sob, etc.)
Origin of gulpMiddle English gulpen, probably ; from Middle Dutch gulpen, to gulp down, akin to Old English gielpan: see yelp
- the act of gulping
- the amount swallowed at one time
verbgulped, gulp·ing, gulps
- To swallow greedily or rapidly in large amounts: gulp down coffee.
- To choke back by or as if by swallowing.
- To choke or gasp, as in swallowing large amounts of liquid.
- To swallow air audibly, as in nervousness.
- The act of gulping.
- A large amount swallowed at one time.
Origin of gulpFrom Middle English gulpen or from Flemish or Dutch gulpen.
- The usual amount swallowed.
- The sound of swallowing.
- A sound of swallowing indicating fear.
(third-person singular simple present gulps, present participle gulping, simple past and past participle gulped)
- Indication of an involuntary fear reaction.
- gulp down
gulp - Computer Definition
An unspecified number of bytes.