Gobble is the sound a turkey makes.
- The definition of gobble is the sound that a male turkey makes.
An example of a gobble is a sound you'll hear from male turkeys on a turkey farm.
- Gobble is defined as to make the noise of a male turkey, or to eat up quickly.
- An example of gobble is to imitate the sound of a turkey.
- An example of gobble is to eat five burgers in 10 minutes.
Origin of gobbleechoic, variant, variety of gabble
- to eat quickly and greedily
- to seize eagerly; snatch
Origin of gobbleprobably frequentative formation on base of Old French gober, to swallow ; from gobet, gobbet
verbgob·bled, gob·bling, gob·bles
- To devour in greedy gulps.
- To take greedily; grab: gobbled up the few remaining tickets.
Origin of gobbleFrequentative of Middle English gobben, to drink greedily, probably from gobbe, lump, mouthful; see gob1.
intransitive verbgob·bled, gob·bling, gob·bles
Origin of gobbleImitative.
(third-person singular simple present gobbles, present participle gobbling, simple past and past participle gobbled)