- The definition of gobble is the sound that a male turkey makes.
An example of a gobble is a sound you'll hear from male turkeys on a turkey farm.
- Gobble is defined as to make the noise of a male turkey, or to eat up quickly.
- An example of gobble is to imitate the sound of a turkey.
- An example of gobble is to eat five burgers in 10 minutes.
Gobble is the sound a turkey makes.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: echoic, variant, variety of gabble
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb gob·bled, gob·bling, gob·bles verb, transitive
- To devour in greedy gulps.
- To take greedily; grab: gobbled up the few remaining tickets.
Origin: Frequentative of Middle English gobben, to drink greedily, probably from gobbe, lump, mouthful; see gob1.